Friday, December 12, 2008

Keys

Wednesday was my last day of work.

So on Thursday I was at work, and on my way out the door, I took out my keys to lock the door for what was to really, truly be the last time. But then I thought, "No, that's too easy, locking the door and leaving." So instead, I took out my keys and with the sort of flourish that only a sleep deprived tall man can quite manage, I dropped my keys down the elevator shaft.

I spent the next hour on the phone trying to find someone who could put me in touch with the superintendent for the building. Then I spent the following hour standing in the freezing rain waiting for him to come. After that second hour, I got a call telling me that the super wasn't really coming.

I went back today, and after ladies behind the desk of the shoe store next door fininshed laughing at me, they had a man who didn't speak any English but had mastered hand motions indicating how tall I was lead me down to the elevator motor room, where I collected my keys.

A typical Thursday, really.
-TC

No comments: